You might think that only oily or acne-prone skin types benefit from an oil-free moisturizer, but if you have dry skin and don't like the heavy feel of a rich cream (particularly during the day), you might want to consider going oil-free.
"An oil-free moisturizer is a way to deliver much-needed hydration to the oily skin," says Kelly Carney, a Los Angeles-based esthetician with more than 15 years of experience. "We need to make sure we are giving our skin 'a drink' to maintainВ its balance of oil and water." While Carney says that oily-skin types would benefit most from these types of moisturizers, everyone can use them to see improvements-even those on the opposite end of the spectrum.
"It is perfectly fine for dry skin to use an oil-free option," Carney continues. "Some people simply prefer the lighter feel of an oil-free moisturizer." When it comes to a regimen, Carney says that an oil-free moisturizer should be applied every morning and evening as the last step of a routine. And if you're not sure where to start, Carney also provided recommendations of 14 oil-free moisturizers that should make their way into your rotation.
1. For Acne-Prone SkinVichy Normaderm Daily Anti-Acne Hydrating Lotion $26Shop
Carney notes that this is an affordable option that's a great "gentle treatment for acne-prone skin."
2. Wears Well Under Make-UpPur Minerals Soak It Up Oil-Free Moisturizer $34Shop
This decadent, dewy cream provides immediate relief from dryness and prevents long-term moisture loss. "It sits perfectly under makeup and is a great start to a flawless finish," Carney says.
3. For Sensitive SkinMychelle Oil-Free Grapefruit Lotion $18Shop
If you have sensitive skin that's also oily, Carney says to look for this option to provide moisture that won't act as an irritant.
4. Fast-AbsorbingMario Badescu Oil-Free Moisturizer $24Shop
This might be the best option for makeup routines on the go because "it absorbs quickly, and keeps pores clog-free," Carney says.
5. Anti-AgingCosmedix Shineless Oil-Free Moisturizer $48Shop
Carney is a representative for Cosmedix, and she recommends this moisturizer because it helps firm and smooth, as well as brightens the appearance of skin the more you use it. "This unique formula not only provides hydration to oily skin but also provides superior anti-aging benefits," she says.
6. Barrier-RestoringLa Roche-Posay Toleriane Double-Repair Moisturizer $20Shop
"This cream sits lightly on the skin and restores its protective barrier," Carney says.В
7. CoolingKiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion $29Shop
According to Carney, thisВ lotion "instantly cools" and it absorbs quickly, too.В
8. All-Day HydrationKate Somerville Oil-Free Moisturizer $65Shop
Opt for this lightweight moisturizer if you need something to work well with makeup, Carney notes. It'll hydrate your skin throughout the day.В
9. Plumps SkinPhilosophy Hope in Jar Oil-Free Moisturizer $39Shop
Philosophy's longtime fan-favorite moisturizer gets Carney's vote because it "plumps the skin without leaving it feeling oily."
10. Fights BreakoutsElemental Herbology Moisture Milk $69Shop
This moisturizer "uses anti-bacterial botanicals to reduce oil and breakouts," Carney says, making it a wise choice for acne-prone skin.В
11. A Hydrating SerumDrunk Elephant B-Hydra(TM) Intensive Hydration Gel $52Shop
This pick "attracts and holds hydration to the skin without disrupting the barrier function," Carney says, keeping your profile looking smooth in the process.В
12. Spray ApplicatorCosmedix Mystic Hydrating Oil-Free Spray $42Shop
Other than its unique spray applicator, Carney likes this option because it "eliminates dry skin, reduces the appearance of oil, and protects skin from environmental and free radical damage."
13. The Gel CreamBelif The True Cream Aqua Bomb $38Shop
"This cooling gel cream is perfect for those who don't want a traditional moisturizer on their face," Carney says.В
14. Budget BuyAlba Botanica Hawaiian Oil-Free Moisturizer $8Shop
If you're looking for a budget-friendly choice that provides gentle coverage, Carney thinks this moisturizer is it.В